20 October 2011

MAC Opulash Mascara

You may remember I posted a while back about Mirenesse mascara? It was tubular mascara. I dubbed it the end of Panda Eyes. Ringing a bell?

To refresh your memory just in case, "tubular mascaras form little tubes of mascara around the lashes, as the name suggests. At the end of the day (or the morning after if you came home sloshed) just add a touch of warm water and gently use your thumb and forefinger to slide the tubes down the lashes. They slide right off!" Go here to read the rest of the post.

I loved the Mirenesse mascara. It came off so easily, rarely leaving a trace (and when it did, it was usually my technique that was the culprit). There's no need to use a make up remover on the eyes, saving me time and money. I rarely wore any other mascara, especially if I was just going to work.

As I mentioned in the original post, I love thick, black, voluminous lashes. I don't like to use eyeliner, preferring to define my eyes with well-applied mascara instead. This is where the problem lies, as the "Cougar,” cat eye effect left a lot to be desired in terms of volume. I was torn between the ridiculously easy removal of Mirenesse and a desire for big, thick lashes. Suffice to say, laziness won more often than I'd like.

I purchased MAC Opulash Mascara last week after re-reading this review of it by Zoe Foster on PRIMPED, thinking it might put an end to this dilemma. Julie from Me, My Best and I also recommended it to me.


It is a terrifically volumising mascara, lengthening and curling the lashes. Just what I like. And what's more, it is tubular mascara! Two-in-one; my ideal mascara. It didn’t take long for me to fall in love. It volumises and boosts my lashes, as per my preference for thick, black lashes, while at the same time allowing me to indulge in my laziness. How fab is that?! There could not be better news.

Oh wait, there is. It goes above and beyond the last volumising mascara I bought. Not only does it achieve the thick, voluminous lashes, but it does so without clumping them together, leaving some definition. The best of both worlds. In this picture below, I have applied Opulash mascara to my RIGHT eye only. I did only one full coat, really working the mascara onto my lashes, ensuring I started right at the base and blinking through the brush and what not.


The Opulash Mascara has a thick, chunky brush, with an easy to hold handle. It's tapered at the end (like the majority of mascara wands these days), allowing for super easy application to the corners of the eyes, which can be quite tricky without a tapered brush. It results in a beautiful, wide eyes look, as per the photo above. It only comes in the one, black, shade, which is unfortunate for those who like brown-black mascaras, but it’s dark enough for anyone who likes black.

The mascara is $33 from MAC stores or MAC's online store.

I rate it ★★★★★ for quality of the product and getting the job done (the job being thick, voluminous, yet still defined lashes, whilst being a tubular mascara that is super simple to remove). I don't have a single gripe or suggestion for this product.
I rate it $$$$$ for value for money. It’s a lot more expensive than your chemist mascaras, I’ll give you that, but it does a damn better job, increasing the value for money aspect. It is definitely a higher end mascara, on par price wise with products like Clinique’s Lash Power and the Dior Show mascara, which do a similar job without being tubular.

Let me know what you think of this mascara, if you've use it before or plan to try it out in the future. What do you think of tubular mascaras?

Miranda x

No comments:

Post a Comment